العربة فارغة الآن
Flavorful Freekeh with Roasted Meat and Fried Nuts
This flavorful dish of Freekeh with Roasted Meat and Fried Nuts is a nutritious and delicious meal that is perfect for lunch or dinner. It's made with freekeh, a whole grain made from green durum wheat, roasted vegetables, fresh herbs, roasted meat, and fried nuts. This dish is packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making it a healthy and satisfying meal.
- 1 cup freekeh
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (e.g., bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (e.g., parsley, mint, cilantro)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound meat (beef or lamb), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts (e.g., almonds, walnuts, pine nuts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
Rub the meat cubes with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Place them on a baking tray and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the meat is fully cooked and the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium doneness.
While the meat is cooking, prepare the freekeh and vegetables as follows:
a. Rinse the freekeh in cold water and drain well.
b. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
c. Add the freekeh to the saucepan and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to toast the grains slightly.
d. Add the water or vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and cumin (if using). Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, until the freekeh is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
e. While the freekeh is cooking, prepare the vegetables. In a large bowl, combine the chopped vegetables, herbs, feta cheese (if using), lemon juice, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add the mixed nuts and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the nuts are golden brown and crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
Once the meat is cooked, let it rest for a few minutes.
Combine the cooked freekeh, vegetable mixture, roasted meat, and fried nuts, and mix well.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: You can customize this recipe by adding your favorite vegetables, nuts, or dried fruits. This dish can be served as a main course or a side dish. It's also great for meal prep as it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Get all your ingredients from here: